Volunteering at the GRYC
One of the key elements of the mission statement is that the Club is volunteer-driven. Only a small staff is hired during the summer months for the instructional programs and some of the administrative and maintenance duties. In order for the members' fees to be kept down and for the islands to maintain their beauty, all members are expected to pitch in. This is not a Club for people who expect to pay their fee and then let the Club run by itself.
To sign up for volunteer jobs and events, email email@example.com with the details of which job(s)/event(s) you are signing up for along with your names(s) and contact info.
Volunteer opportunities will be communicated to members in a variety of ways: Announcements at events and in Club Newsletter, notices on the boards at the club, and posted on the online job board. However, member initiatives are always welcome. If you have an idea of something you would like to do, talk to the appropriate Board member or the Manager.
Guide to GRYC Volunteer Credits
A minimum of 4 credits of volunteering every season are required by each adult member while children 16 and over are required to provide 1 credit each, though all are encouraged to do more. 1 credit is approximately 4 hours of work or one event (on average). Credits will be applied to each member of family, e.g. primary member & partner work a full club night = 1 credit each = 2 credits total. Children under 16 who participate as a volunteer may each substitute up to 2 credits for members over 16. See a sample form (pdf).
Some examples of credit values of volunteer activities:
1 Credit = approx 4 hours or ½ day or single event
- Club Night (set-up, serving / BBQ, and Clean-up)
- Food prep/serving / clean-up for other events (eg. Strawberries for Sailpast)
- Sunday Race Official / Assistant (Point Duty)
- Sunday Crash Boat Operator / Assistant
- Construction / Club Maintenance (half-day)
- Painting / Sanding (half-day)
- Boat Repair / Maintenance (half-day)
- Bridge Down or Bridge Up (1 credit each)
- Duty officer (3 - 4 days)
2 Credits = approx 8 hours or full day event or activity
- Construction / Club Maintenance (full day)
- Painting / Sanding (full-day)
- Race Series sponsor (e.g. all 3 Spring Series)
- Full day of regatta (Race Official, Crash boat, Food crew, etc)
- Event sponsor
- Boat Repair / Maintenance (full / multi-day)
- Duty Officer (1 week / 7 - 8 days)
3 Credits = approx 12 hours or 1+ days
- Organising an event / activity (Sail-O-Rama, Pink Sail, Pram Races, Pentathlon, etc)
- Leading / organising a facilities project such as construction, painting, etc (getting supplies, coordinating plan & vounteers, etc)
- GRYC Board Member (Commodore, Fleet Captain, Secretary, etc.)
- Committee Member (Youth, Safety, Sailing, etc)
- Volunteer Coordinator
- Crash Boat or Point Crew Coordinator
- Organising a series of events / activities (all Club Nights, Race Series Coordinator, etc)
- Regatta & Race Committee Chair
Please direct any questions to the Manager or member of the Board.